At first glance it might seem that I am just a happy, normal girl who loves to bake and walk her dog. However, I have suffered with an eating disorder since I was 13. It was only in May 2014 when I realised that this Voice in my head was slowly but surely trying to kill me. And so began the long, hard, and painful journey which is recovery...

I want My Cocoa Stained Apron to be a special place...a place for reflection, memories, shared stories...and of course a little bit of cocoa-staining ;) Recovery might be the hardest thing you ever choose to do in this life. But it is also the bravest and best decision you will ever make.:)

Sunday 3 May 2015

A few little ways to self-soothe:) x


I have honestly lost count of the amount of times in recovery, when I have broke down in tears because of something or other. And when we get upset, it is all to easy to become immersed in our own melancholy, and this can result in more crying spells, withdrawal and isolation, thingsbeing said that aren't really meant, and other unwanted consequences. Therefor I can't stress how important it is when you are distressed, to find a way of self-soothing that works for you. IN ADDITION to talking to someone. Please, please, please: al;ways remember, it is so , so important not to bottle up. Even if it's only a small, three word text or a hastily-composed email. Don't ever feel you have to suffer alone.

Anyway, to return to the original point, self-soothing techniques are really important when you are stressed or upset. When you are caught up in a a storm of powerful emotion - whether that be anger or frustration, sadness or fear or extreme anxiety - these calming techniques may help to lessen the intensity of your feelings and allow you to think more clearly and logically. I can only speak for myself but I know, when I am very, very upset, my thoughts become a racing pulsation in my head and it appears, in the heat of the moment, that my whole world is destroyed. So of late, I have been trying to help myself by self-soothing and comforting techniques, to help ease my distress and clear my head and prevent myself from going into total shutdown. But I know that I have beome more open. I have learnt the importnac of reaching out. After keeping secrets for so so long about my eating disorder and how I really felt about my shape, my weight and my body, I am finally learning to accept and seek help.

Anyway, enough of my babbling - I just thought I would share some of my own favoured comforting techniques which you might find helpful :)
  • Take a long, hot shower. Grab some fluffy towels, a soft dressing gown to wrap yourself up in once you are done, and then of course an aromatic, soothing shower gel to scrub all over your body. Step under the tap and feel the hot water run over your skin. Scrub at your body with a soft sponge. I always focus on these sensations and take comfort from the warmth and the fragrant scents of lavender or chamomile or coconut.
  • Make yourself a mug of your favourite drink - whether that be hot chocolate, herbal tea, a strong coffee or milky tea. Sit down with your cuppa and wrap your hands around the mug,savouring the heat and inhaling the scent.
  • Go outside into nature and take a few moments to look at everything around you. Notice all the little, beautiful things. The sparrows building nests, the fresh new green leaves on the trees, the bees sipping nectar out of the flowers. And listen, too. I love doing this and always fin it so calming..to focus on the different sounds, just notice them. Birdsong, the wind in the trees, the distant sounds of farm machinery, the cows lowing in the fields.
  • Pet a furry friend <3 I do this with Felix all the time and for me, this is the ultimate soothing effect. ;) <3 


Awwww what could be more comforting than having this little cutie on your lap... <3

  • Sitting in a quiet, warm, comfortable room and closing your eyes, just for a matter of minutes, I have also always found very helpful. I sometimes put music on playing softly in the background and when I close my eyes I let the music create pictures and images in my mind. I also like to focus on the different sounds I hear, both inside and outside the room. 
  • I know it's quite an obvious one but...Hugging or cuddling up to someone is always so so comforting <3
  • And also, especially on old days, I love to pour a little hot water and baby bath in a basin and soak my feet in it for a while.
If you have any little soothing or comforting techniques of your own please do comment below <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment