At first glance it might seem that I am just a happy, normal girl who loves to bake and walk her dog. However, I have suffered with an eating disorder since I was 13. It was only in May 2014 when I realised that this Voice in my head was slowly but surely trying to kill me. And so began the long, hard, and painful journey which is recovery...

I want My Cocoa Stained Apron to be a special place...a place for reflection, memories, shared stories...and of course a little bit of cocoa-staining ;) Recovery might be the hardest thing you ever choose to do in this life. But it is also the bravest and best decision you will ever make.:)

Saturday 30 August 2014

Please, please, please leave me...

What I would like to share with you now are some of the things that still bother me and worry me in relation to my ED; the thoughts that I thought by now I would be rid of entirely, but are still niggling away at me every day, and causing me…well, to feel a bit frustrated and unhappy I suppose.
  • Am I eating too much sugar…
  • Will I get enough exercise done today…
  • If I eat more unhealthy foods on any particular day, I have to substitute for that…
  • I can’t feel too full; I need to always make room before eating; there needs to be a sort of hungry feeling or’s I won’t enjoy it properly…
  • It looks as if I have alot there on my plate…I won’t be able to eat that, I can’t…
And also…some of the other things that I worry about, too, that I feel as if are causing me to not gain as much weight as I would like to…
  • Do I have enough cereal in my bowl at breakfast; and enough milk on it…
  • Should I put on more peanut butter than two teaspoons on my toast/snacks…
  • Do I have enough protein filling in my rolls/bread at lunchtime…
  • Should I really be choosing to sometimes have a piece of fruit instead of a yoghurt after lunch…
  • Am I still obsessive about portion size, about how much to have…do I still feel as if I can’t exceed a certain amount of food in a day…
  • Do I prioritise sweet things over more healthier food…
  • Am I exercising too much and simply burning off the extra calories I am eating…
  • Do I still go for the smaller option for everything…is there still a degree of, I have to have the least. 
  • Do I still have certain habits of behaviour which are very ED like; as in cutting up food into tiny pieces, picking bits off food, eating too slowly…
  • Am I still afraid to say I am hungry for fear that then people will expect me to eat more because of that…
Those are the main ones, off the top of my head. But on different days I get different kinds, it all depends on where I am, what I’m eating, who I am with. 
Like today for example…I had for breakfast a bowl of muesli and malt wheats, and a banana. Two things wrong here. For one thing I think I could have had more milk on the cereal. I poured on the milk and regarded my bowl thinking…umm, it looks so nice. But I bet it would be ever nicer - and more protein rich - if I added more milk to it. But did I? No, I didn’t. No, you will be fine. The voice whispered. And I obeyed. :(
And secondly, I suppose I substituted my usual toast for a banana…the thing is I really wanted to have a banana. I adore fruit and these great big bananas in the fruit bowl - yellow with a tinge of green, just the way I like them - looked really nice. But why couldn’t I have had all three! Because the voice in my head tells me that would be too much; I can only have two things at breakfast time, not three. Oh, if only I could learn not to listen to it…if only, if only these thoughts and ways would just leave me, leave me forever and never come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment