At first glance it might seem that I am just a happy, normal girl who loves to bake and walk her dog. However, I have suffered with an eating disorder since I was 13. It was only in May 2014 when I realised that this Voice in my head was slowly but surely trying to kill me. And so began the long, hard, and painful journey which is recovery...

I want My Cocoa Stained Apron to be a special place...a place for reflection, memories, shared stories...and of course a little bit of cocoa-staining ;) Recovery might be the hardest thing you ever choose to do in this life. But it is also the bravest and best decision you will ever make.:)

Sunday 31 August 2014

CAN I do Cannelloni??? Oh yes I cann!! ;)

image
These are the fruit of my labours today. Yes, I know that one could easily mistake my little rectangles for pieces of parchment or something: or assume that I decided to be creative and cut up an old tablecloth into little strips simply for my own amusement. But believe it or not, these ARE actually homemade pasta sheets, and consist not of paper, cloth, or any other inedible item. No, all that was involved in the making of these were in fact plain white flour, two eggs, and a pinch of salt. And lots of rolling on the part of Ganache-Elf ;)
This is my second time to make pasta from scratch, and, now that I've gotten over my initial nervousness and feelings of doubt as to whether I could REALLY reproduce my very own version of the wonderful and incredibly versatile food stuff that is pasta...I felt a little more confident in making my cannelloni today. Of course it was a little different from when I made ravioli - this time I had not circles, but little rectangles of pasta, which were filled after being cooked in the hot water. My filling was a meat ragu made with minced beef, cooked ham, plenty of tomato puree, onions, herbs, and garlic. And of course...on top I had bechamel and grated cheese. I'm afraid I can't lay claim to making bechamel from scracth yet: no, that's a project for another day I'm afraid. But what with the excitement of pasty-making yesterday, and then cannelloni today...I don't think anyone can feel justified in accusing me of being unadventurous this week. Oh, the pasties! And how did THEY turn out? Well. I will reveal all to you in my next post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment