But what if I went one step further in this process, so that we would have a nice chunky caramel deep inside a chocolate bun...? But this time there weren't any Nibbles in the cupboard...someone must have nibbled them all before I got to them. ;) But I had Rolos and Munchies, which I like just as well, needless to say. ;)
Roll and Munch Buns. :)
- 2 tubes of Rolos
- 2 tubes of Munchies
- 125 g softened butter/margarine
- 150 g light muscovado sugar
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp full-fat milk / single cream
- 2 large eggs
- 200 ml single cream
- 200 g plain chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180c/fan 160c; line a muffin pan with 12 paper muffin cases.
- Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl. Add the butter, eggs, sugar, and flour, and beat well with an electric mixer for about three minutes until smooth and well-mixed. After two minutes, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a metal spoon or spatula before mixing for the remaining minute.
- Add enough milk to achieve a nice soft dropping consistency.Scoop some of it onto a spoon and then let it drop back into the bowl to check this: it should slide or drop down easily enough and not be too thick.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are all equally filled.
- Place a Munchie/Rolo on the top of each and gently press it in, right to the bottom. Smooth over the top with a teaspoon.
- Bake the buns for about 20 minutes until well-risen. The sponge should spring back when lightly pressed with a fingertip, with no indentation left. if there is bake for another couple of minutes before testing again.
- Remove from oven once they are cooked and leave in the muffin pan for about 3 – 5 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Now push another Rolo/Munchie gently into the very top of each soft, still warm cake. Don't push down too firmly this time. Leave the buns to cool completely while you make the ganache.