At first glance it might seem that I am just a happy, normal girl who loves to bake and walk her dog. However, I have suffered with an eating disorder since I was 13. It was only in May 2014 when I realised that this Voice in my head was slowly but surely trying to kill me. And so began the long, hard, and painful journey which is recovery...

I want My Cocoa Stained Apron to be a special place...a place for reflection, memories, shared stories...and of course a little bit of cocoa-staining ;) Recovery might be the hardest thing you ever choose to do in this life. But it is also the bravest and best decision you will ever make.:)

Tuesday 28 May 2019

Fixing

Today I went to see a counsellor. I emerged from the somewhat dreary loooking place some 50 minutes later enwrapped in a cloudy sort of emptiness. It hadnt quite been what I had expected. Indeed far from it. She had more or less admitted that they weren’t quite what I was looking for.
But what am I looking for?
I suppose...the quick switch to my recovery.

But from a physical perspective I am doing well, I guess. But mentally I feel the same. And I still find myself practising every day those silly little ed habits that I have long resolved to work on, and overcome. Yet they linger, as does Ed, and his harsh, whispered dictations never cease to play on repeat within my mind.

The quick switch to my recovery.
If only such a thing existed.

But it doesn’t.

But the one thing that cannot be diminished, is; the love of my babe; the support of my loved ones.
And the hidden strength within Me, to change.

There may be no quick fix; to mend these broken parts, the shattered pieces.

But instead, it is I. I who can do the slow, painful fixing of me.






4 comments:

  1. Sending you love, Emmy.
    I hear what you are saying, and, difficult as it is, I think that that inner strength and motivation and the love of your friends and family and the realism about the lack of any quick switch and about valuing your inner self and your relationships ... those are precisely the things that will, slowly, step by step, help you.
    I am 20 years further on this road than you are, and it was not quick for me, and even after 99.5% was better, there was still that 0.5... but it is the same kind of experience, and it does get better. Be gentle and forgiving to yourself. Perhaps one also needs to discern which things are worth fighting for in an embattled way, and which ones just need to be endured patiently until they one day go away? Some things get easier through fighting them, others through focusing on other things to get to a more secure place in other ways, when they just stop mattering so much and it stops being hard to let them go. Waiting for that security can be frustrating and upsetting, when one wants to be "normal" and one just isn't. I am so glad you are still doing well physically and in your relationships, and that you are still fired by the hope and forward-looking call to life in its abundance....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ
      It brought me hope and determination to carry on fighting, there was so much to be learned from what you wrote and it means so much to me that you shared your insight with meπŸ’œπŸ’œI really was drawn to your idea of fighting hard for the things thst CAN be changed and gently letting go of wgat for now cannot be. That is amazing..such a simple thing in itself but one which will help me a lot I feel!
      Thank you so much! I send you love and gratitude!

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear Emily...
    how glad and happy to see that you are still...here...!!
    I am sure, one day, you, we, WILL break free...!
    YOu - and me too, we have come so far...be patient with yourself...
    Lots of love to you!

    (p.s.I am better, SO MUCH better... the last months were not easy but now it seems like a little miracle to me that I feel alive, feel joy and hope and love, am able to laugh again...the light is back...the light I thought was gone for me...:)))<3!!)
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Theresa πŸ’œ,
      Hello my love! It is so good to hear from you and your comment brought me so much joy! I am so so glad yo hear you are doing better hun! And you are right hun..we must keep fighting. The light is never truly gone..it us like the Sun, occasionally is covered by clouds, but it is never truly gone and we must keep going through the storms and the rain towards that beautiful light..❤
      Sending you love!πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

      Delete